Wednesday 13 March 2013

The Next Big Thing: WIP Madness


So the lovely and incredibly talented Rachel tagged me in this blog hop, and since I'm doing nothing but sitting on my couch and staring at the blank space after the last word I typed, I thought it would be fun. 

Washed Up monopolizes my brain most of the time (I'm querying and in R&R limbo) I thought it'd be fun to spend some time talking about my WIP.


1. What is the title of your book?

My WIP is currently title impaired. I suck at titles. 


2. Where did the idea come from?

Nowhere really. I had a scene in my head - a girl burying her pet - and the story kind of grew around it. I wish I could say I was inspired by a piece of art, or a moving lyric, but nope. Anytime I'm inspired by the media I get these big, awesome ideas that have already been done a million times.

3. What genre does your book fall under?

Guhhhhh. YA....contempmysterorror. Seriously, right now it has a Revenge (Tv) feel too it, but the ending has a possibility to make it more contempt-ish. If you read Washed Up, that'll make sense to you.

4. What actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Now this is the fun part. 

Olivia is a redhead, so naturally it'd be Merida from Brave.



For real life people?

It'd be a toss up between these two lovely ladies.





 Karen Gillian

or


Emma Stone

Now Smith, my hunky LI, is tough because the actor I could see playing him isn't really high-school aged, but he's so hot he's worth posting anyway.



Sigh. Wouldn't that be fun.


5. What is a one sentance synopsis of your book?

Someone is out to get sixteen-year-old Olivia, but the problem isn't who is ruining her life, its whether the person is real, or if it's all in Olivia's head.

6.  Is your book self-published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency?

None of the above :)   I'm querying Washed Up, so this just keeps me sane in meantime. 

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I started writing this last Monday, and I'm right around the 25k mark. I write in 2-3 day long spurts, and then I watch cat videos for a week or so.


8. What other books would you compare this story to in your genre?

 So far it's kind of like TEN by Gretchen McNeil as far as the guessing game goes. The timeline - the way it switches your view completely - is (and I say this with upmost reverence) most like GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn even though mine is YA.

9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?

My mom loves murder mysteries - she's always watching Murdoch Mysteries, Murder she Wrote, and some NZ show about gardening seniors who solve crimes...Anyways. I wanted to write something she'd like, but I'm hardly the cozy mystery type. So this is my go at writing something she won't be able to put down.


10. What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

Hackers. Fire. Blood. Making out. Hot boys.

Here is the first half page or so:


I have to bury my best friend today.

Right now my parents are outside digging a hole next to the oak tree in the backyard.

Mom can’t even look at me without crying.

She thinks I did it.

I don’t blamer her; they found Tobin in my bed, his golden fur matted with blood, and the knife in my hand.

I was sleeping so I don’t remember a thing, and I don’t think I did it, but it doesn’t matter.

Tobin is dead and Mom hates me.





That's all from me, kittens! 



1 comment:

  1. Um I SOOOOO want to read this. love Liv's voice already!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete